Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Burden for the Babies

Ok all, for those of you who may not know, Ethiopia is currently not importing infant formula into their country. They do not have the means to produce this product and since they are in economic distress (we Americans don't know the meaning of the word I'm sure!) they are unable to financially bring imported products like infant formula into the country. So what does this mean? Folks, this means we step up and be the people God is calling us to be. We dig deep, find the resource, and get it into the mouths - literally - of these innocent children that wouldn't otherwise have the chance at a meal. My heart is literally ACHING for these infants with no mommies or daddies to snuggle them into their beds, kiss their foreheads and lay them down for a good night's rest. Some of these precious children are lined in rooms with workers diligently trying to care for large numbers of babies that are waiting for their forever families to come. Some of them may not have a chance to meet their new parents if proper nutrition is not available. I can hardly wrap my mind around it. I look at my sweet Mikey - a busy 20 month old ray of sunshine, what if he was sitting in a crib with no hope of physical touch other than a diaper change and a propped bottle? I started bawling last night at the thought. It's not fair, it's not right, and I can't imagine a world where some walk by or turn the backs, out of convenience and not stop along life's path and invest in little ones they will never hold, embrace, or speak to. So I go to bed tonight committing to prayer these treasures that God so deeply loves.

Lord, may we who have the resource reach out to those who we will never know, and while we work, keep their bellies full enough, keep their spirits high, keep the smiles coming. Lord, I ask for guidance, lead me into a place where my heart breaks like Yours breaks when You see any of Your children suffer unjustly. May we be a light to those who can't seem to see it right now. I love you Jesus, more and more each day, I want to live a life worthy of your smile and approval. Let me shine for Your glory. (And help me be nice about it when people say they can't help, I'm struggling to see how they could turn their backs.) Give me patience, kindness, warmth and a heart that beats for orphans.

Amen.

2 comments:

Eryn said...

Kala, do you know of a way to help? Let me know if you do...where can we give?

Eryn said...

Hey, what's your email address? I would be happy to email more details to you...

Also, thanks for sharing about the formula, I was able to collect several cans and some donations to send some with Andrea B when she traveled this week to get her baby! I think I will be collecting some more too, over the next few weeks, and chances are we'll be making a day trip to Yakima for a little visit to CIS, so maybe I could bring it to you before you travel. :) send me your email, erynkesler at gmail dot com