Monday, July 14, 2008

Dreams

So I was thinking again ( I know scary scary) about adoption which got me thinking about dreams. (Man I hope this makes sense, in my head it does but outside of Kala Land let's see if it works.) So we all have dreams don't we? When we're little dreams of being doctors, going to the moon, eating large amounts of cookies, kissing the cutest boy in class, staying up late with girlfriends, our weddings, how many kids we'll have (in the 4th grade I was quoted in our yearbook saying I would be a mommy and have 10 kids, 3 down 7 to go, Lord help me!), who we will marry and how much fun we'll have as adults. And when we get married we dream of our lives with our spouse, how many kids, buying a house, the dog, white fence - all that good stuff. Then...we see our babies - and if you get to carry your own that moment you see the pink lines you dream of their hair color, boy or girl, their eyes, smile, laugh, maybe even of leaving them in a store, but we dream don't we? I remember what it felt like to see each of my babies for the first time - I'm tearing up thinking about it - that moment where they cry - you give a sigh of relief and then hold them like they're glass - ah that is a moment dreams are made of. Ok so take a break from that. I get an email from our agency about children who have recently been abandoned with our agency in Ethiopia and my heart breaks realizing the reality of these children - what are their dreams but even deeper - what are their mothers dreams? What kinda world do we live in where some mommies don't get to see their babies grow up because there isn't enough food- what about those mommies dreams? So as I was folding laundry which I loathe by the way I got to thinking - God's dream for us is to connect with each other in such a way that everyone is helping everyone. That none of us lack, that we are all loved,fed, warm, and cared for. And adoption is a practical way to love someone you haven't even met. To honor the dream of a mother you probably won't ever met but will forever have a connection to because you are raising her child. Oh her dreams must soar for her babies - someone to always give them food when they need it, hug and kiss them, rock them to sleep, help them go to school and be the best person they can be. So that's what I think about when I'm folding laundry. Hehe, deep huh? Yeah that's me, I'm deep ( yeah I wish) but really I honestly feel like not only did God call us to adopt and give me a dream of a child I don't have a face or name of but he also held a mothers hand and heart as she decided the best shot for her kid was if someone else raised them. Oh how God's heart must break, he holds orphans so close to his heart, how can we not be apart of something so tender? Anyway, well now that my mind is clear, off to put laundry away - woohoo.

6 comments:

ckitt said...

Very deep, yet simple. I love your thoughts!

sara b said...

Ok Kala. Thanks for a good morning cry! The way you worded the whole process of adoption was beautiful. I honestly can say I have never felt a calling towards adoption, until I read your post :) As a mother, I felt a connection to what you were saying in such a strong way. My heart breaks for mothers who love their children and cannot take care of them. What a gift, that he gives mothers like you a heart of compassion and love. You will be fulfilling a mother's dream, raising her child to be healthy, loved and cared for. I am so inspired by your post. This is what adoption is really about. It made me emotional so I hope this makes sense, it does in my head. I know exactly what you mean by "kala land", i have a land too!! :)

Chris and Jana said...

Hi Kala,
Thanks for visiting our blog. We just had our call with our AGCI case manager yesterday. Yes, the "packet" is rather large. I'm excited to get things rolling.

We're excited to follow your progress.

C said...

we are also adopting from Ethiopia and AGCI is our agency. I look forward to folloeing in your adoption journey

C said...

I love the DREAM thoughts so true and such a thought out ofreach for so many people, how is that??

C said...

We all saw the POWER in prayer and fasting when we as a blog family took a day to do this for the hold on some of the Ethiopia adoptions.. SO I feel that we as a blog family need to do this for Margot (Julies' mom) SO please join me this Friday July 25,2008 for a day of fasting and prayer for Margots healing!!!!
C
"For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers."
1 Peter 3:12